Can something be healthier dessert than a chocolate cake with vegetables ? Since everything tastes better when it has chocolate, so we will bake a healthy chocolate cake with courgette/zucchini. Yeah you read it right, a chocolate cake can also be healthy and the best part is that you don’t even taste the vegetable in it. Everyone loves chocolate but feel guilty after eating at one point or the other. This is definitely the solution to your guilt. A lot of vegetable, less sugar, so light and still tastes like dark chocolate. 🙂
I am just a big fan of chocolate but I control myself all the time because if I eat too much chocolate, I get a big dose of sugar and a lot of pimples. About a month ago, a colleague of mine brought this cake to office which she baked for her kids to make them eat vegetables. But I could never figure out that it contains any vegetables. It was so yum and moist with an intense flavor of chocolate in it that it was simply impossible to resist. I ate a lot that day but it was so light and less sugary that I didn’t regret eating that. So I asked her the recipe and I entered the world of baking for the first time in my life. And after that I have baked it 4 times in a month. It is really quick to make and I am happy to share the amazing recipe with you all. I am sharing it in both ways, with eggs and without eggs.
- 1.5 cup (360ml) shredded raw Zucchini (Courgette or Torai)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs or 3/4 cup yogurt (for people who don’t eat eggs)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (refined oil)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Grease the loaf pan properly with oil or butter.
- Grate the zucchini without peeling, using a medium sized grater.
- The recipe is really simple. In 1 bowl mix the dry ingredients and in another bowl mix the wet ingredients and the mix them together. Lets start with the dry ingredients first.
- Take a bowl and mix flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder if you like, baking powder, baking soda and salt to it.
- Now take 2 eggs in a bowl, add refined oil, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract to it. Whisk them till they blend well together. For egg-less cake, this step can be replaced by next step.
- For people who do not eat eggs, don’t be disheartened. We can use yogurt to replace eggs. So take yogurt in a bowl, add refined oil, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract to it. Whisk them till they blend well together.
- Now add zucchini to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients mixture to this bowl and mix well.
- Add choco chips to the mix to have a deep chocolate flavor. If you don’t have choco chips, you can also use crushed dark chocolate.
- Pour the mixture in loaf pan and decorate with crushed dark chocolate if you like.
- Keep it in the oven and bake for 55 minutes. Bake until bread is risen and a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool down for 15-20 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan.
This bread can be stored for several days at room temperature. You can also store in refrigerator.