Doesn’t matter from where you are, you are going to love this. Pav Bhaji is very special to my heart since a lot of memories are attached to it. When I was a kid, I didn’t want to eat green vegetables. So my mother tricked me into eating them by putting them all in Pav Bhaji. And I would eat happily without a clue. What a smart and healthy way to trick kids!!
The old times when I used to stay with my friends in Noida, Pav Bhaji was one of our addictions. After coming back from office, we would walk miles just to have this street food. Good old times!! In other words, golden era of life. It sometimes surprises me how a simple dish can bring back a roller coaster of memories. All of us moved to different cities or countries but memories stay forever. 🙂
Whenever I am missing my friends or my mom, I cook Pav Bhaji. Moreover, it really easy and quick to prepare. A blend of boiled vegetables and that’s it. Here is the recipe.
Recipe for 3 servings (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1-2 potato medium sized, 1.5 cup cauliflower, 1-2 carrots, handful of french beans, 1/2 bottle gourd or courgette. You can use any vegetables you want. The more, the good.
- 1 onion, 1/2 cup capsicum, 1 medium sized tomato, 1 green chilly (optional), 1 cup Peas, 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste.
- 1 packet Pav (unsweetened soft Bread/buns)
- Salted butter for Pav as well as bhaji
- Salt, pav bhaji masala of any brand
- Chop all the vegetables, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, beans, bottle guard or courgette. Wash them properly.
- Now we need to boil them using pressure cooker. But we don’t want to add too much water while boiling. So add vegetables and 3/4 cup water and 1/2 tbsp salt. Keep it to boil on a medium flame and turn off the flame after 2 whistles. You could also just steam the vegetables or cook them in a pan. They just need to be cooked completely.
- Now heat butter in a kadhai or pan.
- Add chopped onion, green chilly, capsicum, ginger garlic paste to it.
- Saute them on a medium flame till they get soft. And then add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Cook them till the tomatoes become soft and butter is released from sides.
- Add boiled/cooked vegetables to it.
- Mash the vegetables properly. You can mash it according to the consistency you would like. Add salt and 2-3 spoons of Pav Bhaji Masala to it.
- Mix well and add peas to it. Cook for 2-3 minutes and make sure extra water is dried up.
- Bhaji is ready and now you can serve it with Pav fried with butter or roasted Pav also. Also add butter on top and finely chopped raw onions and lemon on gives an amazing taste.