Potato seems like best friend of every vegetable and sometimes rules over them too. And then Mr. Jeera (cumin seeds) says- “Why should I stay behind?”. Hence, he also accompanies him in almost every dish. Whenever we want something quick, or not in a mood to cook, most handy thing is boiled potato.
A tip for my beginner and lazy friends : Always keep boiled potato in fridge(very handy if you are tired after office, or just can’t decide on what to cook).
Personally, I am bored with Jeera Aloo so I thought let’s make it interesting with some creativity. 🙂 And I never imagined that potato can be that delectable and Finger lickin’ good. I am going to share the recipe for Boiled potato with mustard seeds(sarso) and lemon juice for a tingling flavour.
Recipe for 2 persons, tbsp (regular size spoon)
Ingredients: 4-5 medium sized potatoes, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 10-12 curry leaves(dried or fresh), 1 green chilly(optional), 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds, 2 tbsp refined oil, salt, 1/4 tbsp red chilli powder, 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- If you already have boiled potatoes, it saves you a lot of time. Else follow the below mentioned steps.
- Rinse potatoes in water. If you have pressure cooker, then add water just enough to cover the potatoes, add 1/2 tbsp salt and give 2-3 whistles on medium flame.
- You can also boil them in an open container. That might take some time but they should be boiled till they are cooked well. You can check that by putting a knife in a potato. If it’s soft enough that you can eat, it’s done.
- You can also boil potatoes using microwave. Rinse the potatoes and put them in a microwave dish with 1/2 glass of water. Cover and cook on full power (800w) for 7-8 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can slice onion, green chilly and tomato finely.
- Take the potatoes out and let them cool down (else you burn your hand. I have burnt my hand quite a lot).
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp refined oil. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it.
- When mustard seeds start to crackle, add chopped onions and green chilly to it.
- Let them cook for 2-3 minutes and then add chopped tomato.
- Add 1/4 tbsp red chilli powder and salt according to taste.
- Don’t overcook it just like regular vegetables, do it only for 2 minutes, till it gets a bit soft.
- Now peel the boiled potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Add potatoes to the pan and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to it.
- Don’t try to garnish with coriander. It spoils the taste. 🙂
You can serve it with chapati, paratha, puris or bread. They taste good even if u make a toast in breakfast.
Hope you like this and find it a bit different. Please share your views and feedback in comments.